St Dunstan’s Church is by tradition the focal point for civic worship in Cheam. This includes the annual Service of Remembrance and the opening of the annual Charter Fair in May. The present church was built in 1864 but the old church dated back to Saxon times, the chancel of which is still standing in the church yard. Now the Lumley chapel, it is looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust but remains consecrated and one or two services are still held there. We have a small modern church hall for use by the church and local community. We are a busy church and there are a number of groups which meet on a regular basis, some as part of our outreach programme.
At St Alban’s we serve the east of the parish. Close to Sutton United Football Club, the church was built between 1930 and 1933 from parts of the walls and all of the roofs of a barn and cow shed on old Cheam Court Farm in Cheam Village that dated back around five hundred years. This gives our church the feeling of an old barn. We also have a separate church hall, a short walk away. We hold regular community events from ‘drop-ins’ to fairs. Everyone is welcome at St Alban’s. We are committed to serving the community in whichever ways we can, sharing the love of Jesus Christ in the world.
St. Oswald’s Church is situated on the Park Farm Estate, to the north of the Parish. The church and its large adjoining hall date from 1953 and 1937 respectively (the hall being built first to serve the spiritual and community needs of the developing estate – a role St. Oswald’s has continued to the present day). We are a small, friendly, welcoming and inclusive church and offer a number of small groups beyond our regular weekly worship, from coffee mornings to ‘Sing For Joy’, which is run in partnership with AgeUK.